• Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012
If you are new to being a stock photographer and just starting out in your newfound career, or a company that is just recently discovering the huge savings in using stock photos in your print or online publications, there are quite possibly many things that you are yet to learn about, and some of them concerns legal issues. One of the unknown issues that you can get involved in when taking pictures for a stock photo collection is about architecture. You may have taken a picture of a building or landmark and not know that it is being protected by copyright or trademark, and this could get you in a lawsuit that will cost you a great deal of money.
There are many structures that are under copyrights that may catch you unaware. Technically, it’s the architectural designs of the buildings that are protected and not the buildings themselves. If you took a picture of such a building and sell it as a stock photograph, the holder of the trademark has every right to sue you so you should always double check if taking a picture of a certain building can get you into trouble or not, and the internet could be a great advisor.
Not only are the photographers the ones on the line, because the same applies to businesses that unknowingly uses images that violate copyrights in their own projects like for advertising and marketing. It doesn’t matter if you paid highly for the material, or where you got it; if the stock photographer who took the picture did not get a property release, then the photos that you have are illegal and a complaint may be filed against you. Buildings are not the only ones that can be copyrighted too, because in many cities around the world, there are a great many statues, monuments and other public artwork displays that are under trademark. Since they are mostly government commissioned displays, they can be considered public domain but in some other cases, the copyrights are still held by the original artist regardless of who was the one to commission it.
Fortunately for everyone, stock photo agencies do their best to filter the photos that are being submitted to them and reject the ones that are in violation of copyrights, but probably due to the sheer volume of files that they are getting, some still manage to slip through. There are many websites in the internet that are kind enough to put up lists of copyrighted buildings for everyone, so the people who are involved in stock photography does not have to deal with so much hassle with settling cases in court.
A few examples of copyrighted buildings are: the night time light display of the Eiffel Tower, although daytime photos of the landmark are still allowed to be sold. The Hollywood sign is also under copyright protection. The Flatiron Building and the Chrysler Building in New York City are also trademarked locations.
Be sure to check out a building or landmark online before taking a picture to avoid troubles later!
Photographers need an outlet to display their products so potential buyers can see them. There are many ways to market stock photos online and there are websites whose services are focused entirely on selling them. There are many stock photography websites that sell photos without royalty, which is the preferred method for many picture-takers as well as the companies or individuals that would be buying them. Royalty free photos are cost effective for the buyers because they are much cheaper and they can choose to pay different rates for a photo for different qualities, and also beneficial for the photographer himself because you can sell the pictures again and again.
You will earn a lot by selling stock photos but it is more of a sideline than a main job. Still, the residual income that you will get is definitely not something to ignore, plus if photography is already your hobby, then you can also turn it into a successful career. Of course, there are many factors that will affect your sales and you must take note of them and improve upon your previous works to increase the money that you are earning with this kind of job. You have to know what pictures other people would want to buy. Personal pictures of you and your family are great for capturing moments and reminiscing at a later date but they may not fare well if you are going to sell them online. Stock photos tend to have niche like sports, animals, nature, and more, and you should label your pictures and add tags that could increase the chances of it being found in search engines. If you want to know what kind of pictures are in demand at the moment, you can visit stock photography websites and see which ones are downloaded the most.
There are many websites available where you can sign up and work as a contributor where you can upload the images for other people to view. Be sure to read the guidelines to know the rules for having your photos accepted in their sites. You might first be asked to submit sample images before you are accepted as a contributor so you might want to submit your photos with the best quality in highest resolution. A contract is formed when you are already working for a stock photography website so you have to be aware of who own the copyrights to the pictures. You still own your photos even after you sell them but sometimes, the pictures that you have already submitted to a site cannot be used in another. Also, be in the know of how long the pictures stay in the website before they are taken away, and how much will you get paid for each photo that is bought. Earnings for a picture could range from a few cents to a few dollars depending on the numbers sold and the image sizes acquired by the buyer. While these numbers may sound small, be reminded that you can resell your photos over and over again so over time, you are sure to get a appreciable amount.
You can’t be sure that your photos are going to be accepted though because there is chance for rejection. Your photo may not be accepted for reasons like; bad quality, too many similar images that are already available on the website, and many other factors. But don’t worry because as you progress with your photography skills, websites will be more accepting of your work. To make your pictures more accessible, you can also add keywords into your photos so they will turn up in the search results but you have to keep them broad and definitive as well as related to the picture or moderators might just remove them later.
• Sunday, October 10th, 2010
Photography is an interesting hobby that can also earn you money. With your photographic skills you can take amazing photos that are admired by one and all. If it is your passion you can become a great photographer too. You can learn the techniques all by yourself to take amazing pictures. You can refer to the guides on photography and learn the techniques used for taking great pictures. Over time once you gain those skills you can become an expert in that.
The following 5 simple tips on photography would help you propel yourself towards your passion.
1. Using rule of thirds to frame shots. If you are framing your objects in the center of the photograph, it would not be an interesting photograph. You have to place them using the rule of thirds which suggests you to frame the objects in the left one-third portion or the right one-third portion to get amazing pictures. However if you want to break the rules it is better to know the rules first-hand before you break them.
2. Importance of Lighting. Light is one of the basic elements in photography that can convey the mood of the subject very well. You can alter the lighting in a photo and change the mood easily. Using lighting properly in your photograph is definitely a different skill that can’t be ignored. Capture the lighting properly and use it wisely to bring out amazing pictures.
3. Using diagonal lines in Landscape photos. If you ever want to get the attention of the viewers to your subjects in the landscape pictures, you have to use the diagonal lines. If you are taking photo of a flowing river or a line of trees, it is better to frame them diagonally in landscape pictures. Placing them diagonally would get amazing shots. You can also make those diagonal lines converge at a point to get stunning pictures. Keep an eye for diagonal lines. Lines can start from a point or converge at point. It is up to you to use these geometric shapes well in your photographs.
4. Proper framing gives interesting touch. The subjects of your photograph should be framed properly so that the photograph looks interesting. When you are taking landscape photographs it is better to frame it with some object in the foreground. That object could be an overhanging branch too. Using this technique often, which is also a common technique, would get you good landscape photographs.
5. Using different angles. You can make your photograph look different by changing the angle of the shots to a different one than normal. For this you have to position yourself in a different angle and look at the subject at a different angle. Do not stand in front of the subject and take shots. You can position yourself near ground with the camera angle from the ground up. Positioning the camera in the top angle would also give a different view.
It is only through practice you can fine-tune any skill and it aptly applies to photography. You can take impressive photos as you gain experience and skills.