Photographers need an outlet to display their products so potential buyers can see them. There are many ways to market stock photos online and there are websites whose services are focused entirely on selling them. There are many stock photography websites that sell photos without royalty, which is the preferred method for many picture-takers as well as the companies or individuals that would be buying them. Royalty free photos are cost effective for the buyers because they are much cheaper and they can choose to pay different rates for a photo for different qualities, and also beneficial for the photographer himself because you can sell the pictures again and again.
You will earn a lot by selling stock photos but it is more of a sideline than a main job. Still, the residual income that you will get is definitely not something to ignore, plus if photography is already your hobby, then you can also turn it into a successful career. Of course, there are many factors that will affect your sales and you must take note of them and improve upon your previous works to increase the money that you are earning with this kind of job. You have to know what pictures other people would want to buy. Personal pictures of you and your family are great for capturing moments and reminiscing at a later date but they may not fare well if you are going to sell them online. Stock photos tend to have niche like sports, animals, nature, and more, and you should label your pictures and add tags that could increase the chances of it being found in search engines. If you want to know what kind of pictures are in demand at the moment, you can visit stock photography websites and see which ones are downloaded the most.
There are many websites available where you can sign up and work as a contributor where you can upload the images for other people to view. Be sure to read the guidelines to know the rules for having your photos accepted in their sites. You might first be asked to submit sample images before you are accepted as a contributor so you might want to submit your photos with the best quality in highest resolution. A contract is formed when you are already working for a stock photography website so you have to be aware of who own the copyrights to the pictures. You still own your photos even after you sell them but sometimes, the pictures that you have already submitted to a site cannot be used in another. Also, be in the know of how long the pictures stay in the website before they are taken away, and how much will you get paid for each photo that is bought. Earnings for a picture could range from a few cents to a few dollars depending on the numbers sold and the image sizes acquired by the buyer. While these numbers may sound small, be reminded that you can resell your photos over and over again so over time, you are sure to get a appreciable amount.
You can’t be sure that your photos are going to be accepted though because there is chance for rejection. Your photo may not be accepted for reasons like; bad quality, too many similar images that are already available on the website, and many other factors. But don’t worry because as you progress with your photography skills, websites will be more accepting of your work. To make your pictures more accessible, you can also add keywords into your photos so they will turn up in the search results but you have to keep them broad and definitive as well as related to the picture or moderators might just remove them later.
• Thursday, May 17th, 2012
Getting into stock photography isn’t really that hard, so if you already have the skills to take photos in good quality, then you have to consider selling your stock photos online because you can potentially earn a great deal of money from this sideline. There are many companies and individuals in need of quality images for use in printed and electronic publications, and you photographers can sell their works to the consumers directly or market their products through stock photography companies. This career is just recently being explored online so there are still many opportunities to take, but first you will have to create your own portfolio.
The very basic thing is to take your own pictures. Investing in a DSLR is always a good idea for aspirers since quality is very critical to get your images accepted in stock photography websites. They are often used in magazines or ads and thus they will need their materials to be of high-quality. Use the highest resolution setting in your camera because images in high resolution can be shrunk and look even better, but pictures that are enlarged could look blurry. After taking a few pictures that you think would do well enough to pass standards, the next step is to build your own portfolio.
People who are looking to buy stock photographs on websites and will always expect them to be in an organised manner so they can easily access it and see which shots they would like to use in their projects. In the past, professional photographers are specifically asked by the companies to produce pictures that they need, but things are different now: they will look through portfolios to see if you have the photos that they have in mind. There are many websites whose services are focused on stock photography, and many companies and individuals can both benefit greatly from them. You can be a contributor but first you will have to submit your sample photos so they can see if you can become a part of their community. You can also sell your pictures with your own website. These two options both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so you can choose which one suits you more.
The next thing that you should think about is your target audience and how to make them look through your work. Make your stock photos accessible by attaching keywords that are related to the images that you have and organise them in such a way that they are easy to view and easy to get. Also, think about what kind of pictures they be looking for, because companies usually buy pictures that will reflect their own businesses. Being professional is one very important thing in stock photography, and you should always think that you are working for men in suits because they are the ones likely to be looking for photos to buy them on the internet anyway, and they wouldn’t want to have experimental materials on their own projects.
• Sunday, October 10th, 2010
Photography is an interesting hobby that can also earn you money. With your photographic skills you can take amazing photos that are admired by one and all. If it is your passion you can become a great photographer too. You can learn the techniques all by yourself to take amazing pictures. You can refer to the guides on photography and learn the techniques used for taking great pictures. Over time once you gain those skills you can become an expert in that.
The following 5 simple tips on photography would help you propel yourself towards your passion.
1. Using rule of thirds to frame shots. If you are framing your objects in the center of the photograph, it would not be an interesting photograph. You have to place them using the rule of thirds which suggests you to frame the objects in the left one-third portion or the right one-third portion to get amazing pictures. However if you want to break the rules it is better to know the rules first-hand before you break them.
2. Importance of Lighting. Light is one of the basic elements in photography that can convey the mood of the subject very well. You can alter the lighting in a photo and change the mood easily. Using lighting properly in your photograph is definitely a different skill that can’t be ignored. Capture the lighting properly and use it wisely to bring out amazing pictures.
3. Using diagonal lines in Landscape photos. If you ever want to get the attention of the viewers to your subjects in the landscape pictures, you have to use the diagonal lines. If you are taking photo of a flowing river or a line of trees, it is better to frame them diagonally in landscape pictures. Placing them diagonally would get amazing shots. You can also make those diagonal lines converge at a point to get stunning pictures. Keep an eye for diagonal lines. Lines can start from a point or converge at point. It is up to you to use these geometric shapes well in your photographs.
4. Proper framing gives interesting touch. The subjects of your photograph should be framed properly so that the photograph looks interesting. When you are taking landscape photographs it is better to frame it with some object in the foreground. That object could be an overhanging branch too. Using this technique often, which is also a common technique, would get you good landscape photographs.
5. Using different angles. You can make your photograph look different by changing the angle of the shots to a different one than normal. For this you have to position yourself in a different angle and look at the subject at a different angle. Do not stand in front of the subject and take shots. You can position yourself near ground with the camera angle from the ground up. Positioning the camera in the top angle would also give a different view.
It is only through practice you can fine-tune any skill and it aptly applies to photography. You can take impressive photos as you gain experience and skills.